Thursday 8 July 2021

How to find the Matariki stars

LI: To strengthen our connections to Matariki.


Matariki is the Maori new year celebration. It takes places each year when the cluster of stars known as Matariki are seen in our skies. The new year is a time for new beginnings and is a time to embrace tradition. To strengthen our connections to Matariki we had a choice of research activities, this research activity shows ways to find the Matariki stars. It showcases both the modern ways scientists use, as well as the traditional ways the Maori used to use back in the days. 

I found out that the Matariki stars signalled to the Maori that it was winter, and it came to me that was the reason they harvest at Matariki. I enjoyed this activity because I was able to do this with my friends as well as find out a lot about the Maori and their ways of Matariki and about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment