Wednesday 1 January 2020

Overcoming the Odds

LI: to complete the Summer Learning Journey
For this activity, we wrote about a time when we, or someone we know, experienced a challenge and overcame it. The challenge was based off of Stephen Hawkings. Stephen Hawking was an English scientist who was interested in studying the origin (beginning) of the universe. When he was young , he was diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease and he lost the ability to walk and talk. Even though he had a serious disease it didn't stop him from having a long and productive life. He overcame the odds and was one of the best scientist in the whole world.

Recount:
I had a friend who was in a Gymnastics team. He was trying to learn the front flip for his routine. At his gym he had trouble learning it. So I told him to try to do it on a trampoline. He nailed the whole thing. He just needed to try to push with his legs more. So we went to the gym and did it over and over until he could do it. He finally did it. He got so used to it to the point he started adding stuff while he was flipping.

5 comments:

  1. Great narrative Chris about helping someone else overcome adversity...Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Chris! It’s Olive, I’m back and I’ve eaten the best sandwich ever for lunch! I'm a vegetarian so I had a toasted cucumber and cheese sandwich! I know, crazy choice right? I promise you it’s good though! What did you have for lunch?

    Thanks for a great blog post! I think you’ve written such an engaging narrative! I really enjoyed reading about your friend achieving a front flip! You’re obviously a super supportive friend! Do you do a lot of gymnastics yourself? Ka pai for all your effort in this post! I know it can be challenging to write sometimes.
    I find it a bit difficult to find inspiration after all the essays I’ve written!

    Keep up the great blogging!

    Ngā mihi,
    Olive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris!
    This activity you did was great, Great job for staying active with the Summer Learning Journey! What was the hardest part of this activity?
    Blog you later!
    ~ Florence

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chris! I really enjoyed reading this short recount about you helping somebody ELSE with their adversity! That's a really nice thing to do, and I'm sure your friend appreciates you very much. It's amazing how your advice turned out to be very effective. How do you feel knowing that you helped him get there? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,
    I like the story you wrote about your friend overcoming his difficulties on completing a front flip. It's great that after a lot of practice and help from you he was able to do it. Can he do a back flip, and what did he end up adding to his flip? Also, can you do the front flip? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete