Friday 3 January 2020

Shakespearean English

LI: to complete the Summer Learning Journey
This task is from the Summer Learning Journey. This years topic for the Summer Learning Journey is Change - makers. The task was to write a short recount on what we did this morning using 2019 english, and then use this Shakespearean English site to write it in 1600 english. The task was obviously based off of Williams Shakespeare who was a 16th century poet, playwright and author. His stories and plays are really old but are still known these days. 

2019 English: 
I woke up clear as day, went downstairs to brush my teeth. I then did some Summer Learning Journey task and then ate some breakfast. I ate noodles for breakfast. Then I went out, it was cold, sunny and windy. 

Shakespearean English:
I did wake up cleareth as day, wenteth downstairs to brusheth mine own teeth.  I then didst some summ'r learning journey task and then consumed some breakfast.  I consumed noodles f'r breakfast.  Then i wenteth out, t wast bitter cold, sunny and windy 

5 comments:

  1. Have you been to see any of the Shakespeare shows at the Pop Up Globe at Ellerslie? - they are SO good! Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Chris,

    Wow! How different. It's really interesting the difference between words like clear and cleareth. What words stood out to you as unusual?

    Have you watched or read any of Shake spares work? If so, do you have a favourite of his work? I really enjoy Romeo and Juliet!

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris!
    This activity you did was great, Great job for staying active with the Summer Learning Journey! What was the hardest part of this activity?
    Blog you later!
    ~ Florence

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chris! I think it's really cool to look at the differences between both descriptions. But I find it strange to see the Shakespearean English version and the huge change compared to modern English. Interesting, don't you think? Shakespeare also wrote some amazing plays, like Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet! What is your personal favorite? I'd go with the classic and most played - Romeo and Juliet. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,
    I like the short paragraph that you have written about your morning. I found the Shakespearean language pretty interesting and the words were kind of weird. When you look at the modern day English compared to the Shakespearean English you can notice a very big difference on how much the language has changed over the years.

    ReplyDelete