Wednesday 2 January 2019

Bee Informed

  • The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to hum, buzz, and drone.
  • Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of 54 kilometres per hour (km/h).
  • Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to 90 percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
  • Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to 50 times as much work as a normal honeybee.
  • The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the removal of wildflowers and flowering trees, habitat loss, and extensive use of pesticides.

For this activity we had five sentences about bees. In each sentence their was a blank we had to fill in. We got
the information from a website called NZ Bumblebee Conservation Trust. I also learned that bees are actually
really important. They actually take care of thirty three percent of human food.





4 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    Great job on completing this activity! I liked how you explained the task very clearly. I find it interesting that bumblebees can do 50 times more work than a normal bee. If you could do 50 times more work than a normal person, what would you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Chris,

    Congratulations on completing another activity with the summer learning journey, we are having so much fun reading over your blog posts! Keep up the awesome work.

    Wow I have learnt so many facts about the bumble bee! I didn’t know that bumblebees carry up to 90% of their body weight in food, they must never get hungry. I wonder what sorts of food they eat, do you think they just eat pollen? Let me know!
    You have done an awesome job on researching these facts to find out the missing answers.

    Keep up the awesome work!

    ngā mihi,
    Georgia E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Chris,

    Well done for completing this task. I am glad to see you posting these SLJ activities. Did you enjoy finishing this activity? Why? I did this activity too. It was very fun to complete. Your answers to these blank spaces are great. I enjoyed reading these sentences. I have learnt a lot from these answers.

    NICE:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chris,
    Wow you are doing so well. I'm glad you found these answers!. I also got the same answers!. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete