Wednesday 9 January 2019

Fact or Fiction?

I learned that a sea creature in New Zealand as important as the Kiwi is on the verge to being extinct. There is an estimated amount of 63 of this creature. This creature is called the "Maui Dolphin". People predict that the "Maui Dolphin" would be extincted in 2033. So for this activity we post three facts that we learned about the "Maui Dolphin". Then, using our imagination, we had to create three more statements about Māui dolphins that are not true.

True Facts:

  1. The Maui Dolphins use echolocation
  2. Maui Dolphins might only be able to grow their population by 2% a year. That means that a population of approximately 55 can only increase by 1 individual per year.
  3. Maui Dolphins feed on a variety of species of fish, such as red cod, āhuru, and sole. They feed throughout the water column, on both bottom-dwelling fish and free swimming prey.


Real or False Facts:
  1. Females grow to 1.7 m long and weigh up to 50 kg. Males are slightly smaller and lighter.
  2. The Maui Dolphins are the biggest dolphins in the world
  3. Maui Dolphins can live up to 45 years

5 comments:

  1. Hello Chris! Nice job on this activity, I was able to find out much more information about Maui Dolphins during completing it myself. I think your true or false question will trick people and get them researching. What fact surprised you the most? Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,
    Great job on completing this activity! I really like how you chose facts that are hard to decide on being true or false. I also liked how you listed the things in the Maui Dolphin's diet. Would you want to own a dolphin as a pet if you could?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Chris,

    That is a scary fact about Maui dolphin - that hardly any add to the population each year. I'm just really glad that people are out there trying to save them.
    I'm gonna guess your fact 2 is false? Did I get it right?

    Have a go at some more commenting Chris - bonus points!

    Talk to you soon,

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hello Chris,

    Well done for completing this task. I am glad to see you posting these SLJ activities. Did you enjoy finishing this activity? Why? I did this activity too. It was very fun to complete. Your facts about the Maui Doplphins are interesting. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Chris!,
    Wow you are doing an awesome job!. I think that your statements are all wrong and were made up!. I think this was such a fun activitys dont you think!. It was fun making up the statements for me what about you?. Anyways keep it up!.

    ReplyDelete